Happy New Year, friends! I’m excited to share my very first DIY project of 2017 with you. For this one, I took a plain, black chest of drawers that I had in my bedroom and gave it a modern update. It’s crazy what a little paint and some new hardware can do for an otherwise boring piece of furniture. See all the steps below for this DIY dresser makeover.
- Drawer Handles
- Wood Putty
- Semi-Gloss Paint
- Power Drill
- 220 Grit Sanding Sponge
- Foam Brushes
- Foam Rollers
- Face Mask
As you can see, there was really nothing wrong with the dresser before. It just doesn’t fit with my design style. I wanted to tone down the loud black finish and update the traditional hardware for a new, fresh look.
Step 1 – Drill New Drawer Holes
To make this process easier, you could just buy handles that are the same size as the existing ones. Or you could do what I did and fall in love with ones that are half an inch smaller. To make up for this, I drilled new holes just inside the existing ones and filled those with wood filler. Once the filled holes are dry, sand away any excess filler until it’s smooth.
Step 2 – Sand Dresser
Since this piece is laminated MDF rather than painted wood, I knew I needed to take special precautions with the finish to prevent peeling in the future. I began by lightly sanding the entire piece with a 220 grit sanding sponge. You want to sand enough to create a surface paint can adhere to, but not so much that you wear down the lamination.
Step 3 – Paint & Seal
It took three coats, with 220 grit sanding between each, of Behr Paint-and-primer in one to achieve full coverage over the preexisting black. This color is my new favorite from Behr called Coney Island (used on the legs of this bench recently). I used dense foam rollers for the bulk of the piece as they give even coverage and don’t leave marks. Foam brushes helped with the detailed areas and edges of the drawers. After the paint was fully dry, I applied a coat of Minwax Polycrylic in semi-gloss to seal the whole dresser’s finish.
Step 4 – Attach New Hardware
Here you can see my must-have hardware that I made my life 10x more difficult over. You see why it was necessary now, because they’re beauties. I attached them in the holes I drilled with the screws that came with them to finish the dresser.
Here it is again, all done:
Thanks for checking out this week’s project! If you’re new here and want to stay in touch, you can find a bar up top to subscribe. This will give you an email notification every time I post a new project. I know, that is a pretty irresistible offer.
Have a great week, friends!